The 2014 Revised Surveillance Case Definitions for HIV Infection report provides updated information and addresses multiple important issues pertaining to HIV Surveillance–
- Development of new diagnostic testing procedures
- Recognition of early HIV infection
- Differentiation between HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections
- Consolidation of staging systems for adults/adolescents and children
- Simplification of criteria for opportunistic illnesses indicative of AIDS
- Revision of criteria for reporting diagnoses without laboratory evidence.